CustomMade.com Design Challenge 2010 – Official Rules and Regulations
OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
No Purchase Necessary
The following are the official rules for the CustomMade.com Design Challenge 2010 (“Challenge”):
1. Sponsors: The Challenge is sponsored by CustomMade Ventures Corporation, located at 99 First Street, Cambridge, MA 02141 and Rockler Woodworking and Hardware, located at 4365 Willow Drive, Medina, MN 55340 (together “Sponsors”).
2. Eligibility: Any individual who enters the Challenge must be at least the age of legal majority in the jurisdiction where they reside and a resident of one of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia. The Challenge is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsors and their immediate families (spouse, parent, sibling, child, and spouse of any of the foregoing) and those living in their immediate households, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter the Challenge or to win the prize.
3. Entry Period: The entry period for the Challenge begins at 9 a.m. EDT on January 18, 2010, and ends at 12 a.m. EDT on February 12, 2010 (“Entry Period”). Entries received before or after the Entry Period will not be considered unless an early entry is resubmitted during the Entry Period.
4. Challenge Details: Challenge entrants will submit designs illustrating an original, unbuilt single piece of furniture suitable for home or office. Entries determined to be unachievable by an experienced woodworker will not be eligible. You may submit more than one entry, with a maximum of three entries. Submissions will initially be judged by the Sponsors, and the top three entries selected through the initial judging will be voted upon by the general public, including members of the CustomMade.com and Rockler Facebook communities. Initial judging criteria will include each of the following elements, which will be weighed in equal percentages: innovation and creativity, clarity of design, originality, aesthetics, and ability to showcase custom made woodwork. The winning designer will have their design made for them by a CustomMade.com woodworker and using Rockler tools and materials, presuming the value of the piece does not exceed $1000 (including tools, materials and labor). Should the value of the piece exceed $1000, the designer will have the option to a.) apply $1000 toward the piece and be personally liable for the remaining balance for the work or b.) work with the woodworker to redesign the piece until the value of the completed design is $1000 or less. The woodworker who will create the piece will be selected by the CustomMade.com staff.
5. How to Enter: A complete entry consists of the following four elements: (1) a completed entry form available at http://custommade.wufoo.com/forms/design-challenge-2010-entry-form/; (2) at least one 3D rendering of the design uploaded as a jpeg image file; (3) a proposed name for your design; and (4) a brief (no more than 300 words) description of the piece, including your choice of materials, if desired. Incomplete entries will be void. All renderings and other materials submitted as part of the entries will become the property of the Sponsors, may be used by the Sponsors for marketing and other promotional purposes, and will not be returned. Entries must be submitted during the Entry Period to be considered.
6. Ownership Rights in Submissions; Originality; License: You must have all ownership rights in and to your concept, design and text. By submitting an entry you represent and warrant that any concepts, design elements, text and images contained in your entry are your original work and that no other person or entity, including any third party designer, has any ownership interest in all or any portion of your entry. Your entry must not have been, and may not be, submitted in any other competition or previously published. The Sponsors reserve the right to void and/or disqualify any submission if found in the Sponsors’ sole discretion to be inconsistent with these representations and warranties, plagiarized, copied, or fraudulent; to infringe upon existing rights of others; or to be incomplete, damaged, obscene, vulgar, offensive or otherwise unsuitable. By submitting an entry, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsors from and against all claims or damages arising out of the use of any design or other materials you submit. By submitting an entry, you grant to Sponsors and their respective successors and assigns an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual license to publish, display, use, exploit, edit the text, adapt, modify, copy, disseminate, post, or dispose of the design, text and other submitted materials online, in print, film, television, or in any other media for editorial, advertising, promotional or other purposes without compensation or notification of any kind to you.
7. Winner Selection: The winner will be announced at http://blog.custommade.com and notified by email and telephone no later than February 26th, 2010. Sponsors’ decisions in selecting the winner and in all matters relating to the Challenge are final and binding.
8. Prize: The winner will receive $1000 toward their completed piece by a CustomMade.com member woodworker using Rockler tools and materials. If the winner chooses not to accept the prize, or does not respond within one week to three separate attempts to reach them by email and telephone during that week, an alternate winner will be chosen from the remaining entrants.
9. Taxes and Documentation: All federal, state, and local taxes on the monetary value of the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. A 1099 tax statement will be filed with the IRS and the winner will be required to sign a W-9 form and a Winner’s Agreement, which will include an affidavit of eligibility and a liability release. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the prize.
10. Right to Use Name, Likeness, and Other Identifying Information: By submitting an entry, each entrant grants to Sponsors and their respective successors and assigns the right, except where prohibited by law, the right to use the entrant’s name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, entry materials, and written or oral statements, for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes, without compensation, unless required by law. Entrants shall have no right of approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of their name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, or entry. The rights granted under this paragraph are without compensation or notification to the entrant of any kind, except as required by law, and shall extend to all entries and all other submitted materials related to the Challenge, including those submitted by non- winners and winners.
11. General Conditions: By participating in the Challenge, entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsors and the judges, which will be final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Challenge. Sponsors and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) shall have no responsibility for any injury, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from participation in this Challenge or acceptance and use of the prize. If for any reason the Challenge is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsors, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Challenge, Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Challenge, and/or to judge entries from among all eligible, nonsuspect entries received prior to such action. Released Parties assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Released Parties are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e- mail or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Challenge. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CHALLENGE IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.